In July 2011, the UK Chief Medical Officers published new physical activity guidelines. For the first time these included guidelines specifically for the under 5’s. The guidance for under 5’s has been categorised into non-walkers and walkers.
This section provides resources and guidance to practitioners, managers of early years settings, parents and carers. Click on the pages on the left tab for further information about the resources and documents available.
Information booklets has been produced to give early years practitioners and health professionals help with using these guidelines effectively and to provide practical tips.
They provide information on:
- The early years guidelines
- The importance of physical activity for children in the early years
- Appropriate types of activity
- Tips for promoting more physical activity and reducing sedentary behaviour in an early years setting
- Further resources to help promote movement and reduce sedentary behaviour
There are two information booklets available one with advice for physical activity with infants who cannot yet walk and one for walkers, these can be downloaded from the related documents section below.
Short factsheets can also be downloaded below to outline the guidance for under 5’s.
Source: British Heart Foundation Centre for Physical Activity and Health.
For more information Click Here.