IMPORTANT: Your sports club could make significant savings when sending members on our First Aid for Sport and Exercise (ABC First Aid) workshop - Please click here for details
All National Governing Bodies of sport and exercise require that teams, clubs, organisers and venues have made arrangements for the provision of first aid in fulfilment of the Duty of Care owed to athletes, spectators and others. This course offers the minimum level of statutory first aid training for sports coaches, fitness trainers, club officials or anyone who could be called on to deal with injury or illness in the sport and exercise situation. The certificate is accepted by all sport and exercise governing bodies for Public Liability insurance purposes.
Course content: Delegates receive training in a range of first aid competencies, including:
* Legalities of First Aid: obligations, the Duty and Standard of Care expected of the first aider
* The Primary Survey in sport and exercise: AcBCDE
* Basic Life Support: Resuscitation Council Guidelines 2010, Adult and Child sequence, including Defibrillation demonstration
* Sudden Death Syndrome: incidence of major cardiac illness in athletic populations
* Management of the unconscious casualty, including head injury/concussion assessment: AVPU/SCAT2/referral forms
* Management of injury, illness and environmental scenarios: case studies and open forum - subjects discussed will include neck injury, bleeding, fracture, dislocation, soft-tissue injury, asthma, hypoglycaemia, fitting, heat and cold illness
On completion of the course delegates receive the nationally-recognised ‘Emergency First Aid at Work’ certificate which is valid for 3 years.